Friday, November 01, 2013

No Union

I just learned that I missed my twenty-year high school reunion. I got no invitation, and saw nothing on Facebook apart from one oblique reference between two former classmates about seeing each other in October. Over the past several months, I tossed out a few lines, both on my Facebook wall and in messages to friends, asking if anything was happening and when. I never got a response. It's like the universe wanted to make sure I didn't go.

I would be OK with that, actually. I'm a God person, and I believe He does stuff like that. Maybe I wasn't meant to go, even if I don't know why. I know better than to let myself dwell on the possibility that I'm still as invisible to people as I was in high school (I was voted Most Bashful), and to see this as evidence that nobody cared one way or the other whether I was there. Kind of hard not to let the thought slip into my head, though.

It's not like high school was a great time that I wish to relive. It's not like I have a list of impressive accomplishments I want to share with people. The fact that I was interested in going was, in my mind, evidence that I've developed enough self-confidence to attend despite all this. So it's weird that I still would have missed it without meaning to.

But I had a dress in mind. I would have looked pretty damn hot for my 38 years. And isn't that the important, part, really?

2 comments:

Anya said...

You got better things to do than waste your hawtness on those clowns!
;-)

Anya said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.