Saturday, August 02, 2008

Smouldering Wick

I am in possession of a book which bears the same name as my blog, albeit with a classy British "u" in "Smouldering." It's in the form of a devotional, which means it's a collection of very short essays, usually less than one page each, and is meant to be taken in small doses rather than read in large chunks.

So far, I'm recognizing the thoughts expressed by Adam Pope, the author, as lessons hard-learned. On the surface, many of his statements appear simple, even obvious, but I know that in my own life it took painful, difficult experience to drive these truths home in my heart. I'm enjoying having these lessons reinforced. And when I run into lessons I have yet to learn myself, I'm confident that they come from a place of experience, even though it's an experience I haven't been through (yet).

Adam's style is unique (or at least unusual enough for me not to have seen it before) in that he writes in the second person, as if talking to himself. It's important to keep this in mind when reading. We're not used to hearing or seeing "you, you" unless it's from a preacher or teacher, someone looking us in the eye or pointing a finger. But these are the reflections of a man wrestling with God, on his knees before God, on his face before God, asking himself honest questions and telling himself truths he doesn't want to forget.

If you enjoy the more serious, contemplative parts of my blog, you may enjoy this book as well. You can check it out here:
http://www.mioomi.com/adampope/

2 comments:

Marquioni said...

Holly, I discovered Adam´s work previosuly through your blog, and have found it incredibly inspiring and enlightning, for he deals with sincerity, humbleness, simplicity and keen pondering, problems that I have dealt with in my own relationship with God and my personal life. (I recommend the "nooma" videos on his blog)
Also, his love for latinamerica and human development are something we no doubt share.
Hope your own autobiographical epic novel follows up Holly!

Anonymous said...

I guess you will want to place a facebook button to your blog. Just bookmarked the article, although I must make it manually. Simply my suggestion.