Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Understandably Misused Words

Would it be too obnoxious to complain again about some word mistakes I hear? I'm pretty good about not correcting people, I think, but a girl's gotta vent her grievances somewhere. I even looked these things up, to make sure I wasn't nuts.

1. To quote a T-shirt a friend of mine has, "There is no 'X' in 'espresso.' "

2. Nor is there an "X" in lackadaisical. I think people combine it with lax.

3. There is no hard "C" in et cetera, which means it's pronounced et-set-er-a, not ek-set-er-a.

4. It's not wrong to pronounce the "T" in often, but I find it unnecessary. We don't pronounce it in soften.

5. If you're on guard or cautious, you're wary, not weary. Weary means tired. I think people combine wary with leery.

6. If you're haggling over a price, you're bargaining, not bartering. To barter means to trade without the exchange of currency -- like swapping raccoon pelts for blankets.

So there they are, a few of my little pet peeves. Gotta run, but feel free to add some. And if I got something wrong, well, I'm pretty much asking to be corrected, aren't?

No comments: