Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Counter Dog!

Jake has special powers.

This dog walks with two limps, can't run, and is on a special diet to make sure his joints don't have to carry too much weight. Yet somehow, when no one is looking, he manages to attack food that's way up on the counter -- even 18 inches back on the counter -- pull it down to the floor, and devour it.

How does he get up there? And more on my mind, where the heck does he put the food? I mean, I know he eats it, but how does he fit it in? I understand the instinct to eat until the supply runs out -- for an animal in the wild, not knowing when your next meal will run by means gorging when you have the chance. I'm not judging. But I'm bewildered. Jake probably only weighs about sixty pounds. His stomach can't be all that big. But he managed to eat about five monster cookies in one go last week.

Let me describe the Monster Cookie, so you have an idea. It has oats, peanut butter, chocolate chips and M+Ms -- lots of good cookies in one! Very, very filling. And big. I made them each about nine inches in diameter, and about 3/4 in. thick. (Mmmm, I'm gonna have one for dinner. Gonna make some vanilla cocoa I bought yesterday, and dunk the cookie in it. Oh yeah...) I, a grown-up human, can only eat one of those a day, and my capacity for cookies is great. So how does Jake do it? Is there something canines have going on physiologically that allows them to shove it down like that?

Inquiring minds want to know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sistah,

The K9 was set up! Your roomies ate the cookies and blamed the dog.

Anonymous said...

Ah, it appears Jake has the same genetic mutation as I. I have a second stomach - much like a cow - reserved for desserts, and I put Hercules's labors to shame with my Double Stuf Oreo-eating ability. Any more questions?
The doctor is in (and needs to go to bed).