Thursday, December 11, 2008

Good Times, Good Times

Today was a rather awesome extended holiday party at work. Lots of food. Lots of activites. Very little work accomplished. A good day.

There was a bit of a dip for me when the man I was talking to asked if I was joining the Ugly Sweater Competition. I wasn't.

Pretty sure it was supposed to be a joke, and I was supposed to get it. But any comment about a woman's appearance is dangerous territory. Men, I'm trying to help you here. I'm good at laughing at myself (door wide open for friends and family to contradict me here), but I still spent the next hour-and-a-half wondering if I looked like a doofus in my sweater. Best to give only compliments.

The notorious landmine in the Wrong Comment Department, of course, is anything along the lines of, "When's the baby due?" Brian Regan, the comedian, made that mistake once, and concluded that the rule is, "Never guess about that -- ever ever ever ever ever ever ever." Yeah, actually, that is the rule. A year ago, my sister-in-law was pregnant, and was approached by another pregnant woman, and still didn't enjoy the assumption by a stranger that she was having a baby. If that ain't safe, ain't nothin' safe, so just don't go there. Ever ever ever ever ever ever.

Although, there is a bright side for the pregnant women out there, I think: If people recognize you as pregnant and not just heavy, it's probably because the rest of you looks rather thin. I see a compliment in there, if you want it.

But be careful your beautiful baby bump isn't shrouded in Possibly Ugly Sweater.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not knowing which sweater you were wearing, I won't venture a guess on the accuracy of that guy's comment. I will, however, make what I think is a safe bet that he's got Doofus of the Year locked up.

Anonymous said...

What do men know about clothes? Absolutely nothing! (unless there was applique of any kind gracing your knitwear in which case, well save that sweater for family gatherings :)