Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Maybe I Have a Thyroid Problem

For at least the last ten years, I've been colder than just about everyone else in any given room. I first noticed this in England, where they keep their homes cool and everyone has the temperature tolerance of a polar bear, so I wrote it off to my coming from a country that has mastered insulation. Then I lived with my parents for a bit, but they have plenty of quirks about them, so I still thought I was the normal one. But you can only live so many years, in so many places, before you begin to realize that it's you, not everyone around you, who has the problem.

My company just moved to a newly renovated building. There are finally people in the cubes around me! (How I'm supposed to sing with the radio and take naps now, I don't know. Must work on this.) Thus, I have a gauge to see how warm it is, contrasted with how warm I feel. The verdict: Big, big difference. The folks around me are in two layers at most, and those layers are not heavy. I, on the other hand, was mummified in the following until lunch today: Button-down shirt; light sweater; big cardigan over the sweater; big chunky poncho over the cardigan, which also functioned as a coat in the warmish weather today; outdoor hat; fleece blanket over my lap. I was not uncomfortably warm in this.

Surely I left the realm of Normal about 2 1/2 layers ago. After two years of iron supplements, surely I'm not anemic anymore. I'm gonna look this up on WebMD or something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Hol...

My my was diagnosed with a thyroid condition like 20 yrs ago....she was abnormally cold all the time too....she's been on meds since but the coldness thing never really stopped...

Anonymous said...

Quirks? You mean those endearing characteristics that make us loveable as opposed to certifiable, right, Honey?

Holly said...

I mean the way you can go from breakfast to supper with no meal in between. I figured if I was a freak in our family for wanting lunch, maybe my being-cold freakishness was confined to the family, too.