Friday, January 23, 2009

And Again Today

I don't remember the last time I had to take two sick days in a row! There were the surgeries, but that's a bit different because they were planned. Today I was totally planning on going to work, until I took a shower and it hurt. I don't think showers are supposed to hurt. So I'm home.

I don't own a thermometer, but I suspect I have a fever. I suspect this because I alternate between sweating and shivering. There's a scene in the Walk Hard movie I just saw where Dewey is in rehab:

Dewey: I'm cold!
Nurse: We need more blankets!

Dewey: I'm hot!
Nurse: We need fewer blankets!

Dewey: I'm hot and cold and the same time!
Nurse: We need more and less blankets!

That's me.

Anya, thanks for cheering me on about staying home. I find myself tempted to be all martyr-y, especially since I feel OK some of the time. And my job doesn't involve much beyond sitting. What really stopped me from going in today, though, was the commute. There is a minimum of three legs each way to my journey, and I didn't really feel up to any of them. I was also scheduled to babysit for a friend after work, and I backed out of that after doing some simple math in my head: My cough + his asthma = a trip to the emergency room.

So I'm at home with messy hair, eating Cream of Rice and blogging. Responsibility takes many forms.

2 comments:

Anya said...

Rock on, Dew(Holl)ey! Good for you for taking care of yourself. Feel better soon and let me know if you need any chicken soup or similar.

And keep drinking water--sounds lame, but it helps.

Ben said...

Yes, keep drinking water! Lots of it. You'll want at least seventy one-gallon, opaque plastic jugs, wrapped in foil. Stack them in the basement and cover with a tarp. Don't let anyone else know how much water you have. It's not cruel to take care of yourself first. And remember, opaque plastic and foil together should minimize the radiation poisoning, but nothing's perfect, you have to accept that. Now, ammo should be your next concern. Think big. Rocket-propelled grenades are NOT too much. In this kind of situation, horribly mangled animalistic humanoids will be roaming the hideous wasted wreckage of a planet gone mad, and will you want to be defending yourself with a puny handgun? I think NOT. Now...er, sorry, what were you talking about?