Thursday, January 22, 2009

Today I Am Sick

So I've been drugging myself and trying to be unconscious as much as possible. Who wants to be awake if it means having to be aware of your own suffering? And isn't sleep the most recuperative thing you can do for a sick body? Well, then.

Actually, all this sleeping seems to be working quite well, because I'm already feeling much better. Had to cancel this morning's dentist appointment, though, and not just because I felt pretty bad around 7am; it just seemed wrong to force people to work on my mouth while I'm carrying around so many germs.

The impulse to be a baby gets pretty strong when you feel sick, doesn't it? Don't you want to be taken care of -- have somebody bring you food and water in bed, and be sympathetic when you think you might barf? I'm not sure you ever outgrow that.

As with many things, I find it takes a fair bit of discipline to allow myself to relax and recover. It's OK to take a day to sleep, read, and watch Mystery Science Theater 3000 DVDs, if it means being fully functional the next day, instead of dragging the illness out and passing it along to everyone who comes within three yards of me. It's for my fellow man that I force myself to be a bum today. You're welcome.

2 comments:

Anya said...

Thank you for NOT being one of those people who goes to work sick! I hate that!

Feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Sis,

More times than I'd like to admit, I have consumed adult beverages in order to create an inhospitable environment for any nasties that try to invade my body. This is done using The Scientific Method, of course. If one is using The Scientific Method, then he or she must, among other things, A) repeat the experiment many times (done) and B) conduct the experiment in a manner that allows other scientists to replicate it. If you would like to try my method, here is my lab report:

HYPOTHESIS: Drinking makes you feel lovely, even when you feel like ass at the get go.

MATERIALS:
1. Person with ailment
2. Scotch

PROCEDURES: Ailing person consumes scotch

DATA, ANALYSIS, and CONCLUSION: I feel lovely.

Let me know what you get.

If it does make you feel better, every squadron or airline I've been with has harshly criticized people who come to work sick. You're not doing the company any favors.