Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Exploration Stage

I've got acting on the brain. It's been several months since I did improv, and that comedy troupe I got into appears to have fallen through, so I'm now looking into other options. It's even occurred to me that I could go to grad school to study this stuff, which is funny because I've steadfastly avoided school since I got my postgrad diploma in '99. I wanted to be out there, living life, instead of just preparing for it. But the idea of diving into the deep end and being completely immersed in All Things Drama-Related for a year or two certainly holds its appeal.

It's also occurred to me that I could go back to the UK to do it. What's better than being immersed in acting? Being immersed in acting and Scotsmen.

Of course, there are all kinds of issues with the practicality of adding an acting degree to music degrees (unemployable in two artforms!), the matter of finances, and the reality that if I did head back overseas, I'd once again be foreign and unable to work, both of which rather stink. And this time I'd be old enough to be everyone's mom. (Did you know you can go to university at 16 over there? Good grief, I'd be older than half the professors.)

In the meantime, I've signed up for an acting class at the local center for adult ed. Maybe I'll sign up for another class or two, as well. I occasionally toss my hat in in response to requests for local actors, like I did with that comedy troupe. Lots of exploration. Not quite sure where it will lead or how. But I'm dipping my toes in again. I still think I can do this. I still want to do it. And along with all those annoying practicalities, I have this God fellow who seems to think that I could use some fun.

I've come to agree.

No comments: