Friday, July 11, 2008

@&$%#$&^%$#!

I heard a fun phrase in a movie last night: "bat-shit crazy." I've decided to try to work it into conversation. As many of you know, I've been learning to swear over the last couple years, largely because I'm trying to subdue my hyper-active conscience. And because sometimes it's really funny. Eventually, I'll probably back off on it, because I don't want to be a foul-mouthed person, but there are a few gems I'll have to get out of my system first. Among them:

ape-shit
fuck me (when said in reaction to being startled, as in "oh, fuck me, I didn't see you there!" -- not meant as an invitation)
shit-eatin' grin
ass-pansy (courtesy of my newest roommate)

dumbass (somehow always brings a smile to my face)
I also can't seem to stop paying people the compliment that I find something they've done "badass."

I may need to add to this list as things come to me.

As I appreciate originality in profanity, so too do I appreciate it in its alternatives. One of my coworkers revealed today that she makes up her own harmless exclamations, and sometimes reaches into the annals of history to resurrect words that are no longer considered offensive. I find that sometimes we can use Britishisms, too, because they don't carry the weight here that they would across the pond. Some fun examples of these:

Newly made-up:
fart-knockers

frick-knickers

Historic:
blast
bother (from Winnie the Pooh, I believe)

British:
bloody
bollocks
bugger

There's also the Yosemite Sam Option, for you rootin' tootin' hombres out there: OooooooooRatsafrackinfreepanogginzortarrrrrrrrrrabbit! It helps if you jump up and down repeatedly while you shout this.

My alternative to taking the Lord's name in vain is to sound like a grandmother:
Oh my word!
Good heavens!


Or a kid from the '50s:
Uh, golly!
Geez!

I think I've thus far managed not to sound like Ned Flanders, but perhaps I'm kidding myself.

So, people, got any good ones I should add to my repertoire?

3 comments:

Marquioni said...

Holly, I probably shouldn´t do this, but what the heck:
Here are a couple of latinamerican classic insults and their respective meaning:

1.- Huevón: classic chilean foul insult. Actually means "big egg". How this derived into an improper word, defies scientific explanation.
2.- Ahuevonado: slightly more elegant version of the latter.
3.- Boludo: Argentinian slang referring to an individual´s testicles being swollen. Again, why this dangerous medical condition should be insulting baffles me.
4.- Coger: Spanish insult equivalent to the classic american four letter word. It literally means "to grab", which demostrates how graphic spaniards can be.

I hope this will be useful for those planning to visit these countries, and having friendly relations with the natives.

Elliott said...

A good one we used to use at uni is 'shit the bed!' when surprised by anything.

The french have a great one too. 'Zut (zoot) alors!'

Holly said...

Rudeness from around the globe! I feel so cosmopolitan.