Monday, September 08, 2008

New Hat! Thievery!

On my list of things to do when I have money: Buy and wear hats. Well, friends, I have a little bit of cash, and I have bought a hat! Unfortunately, I don't know how to describe it to you, which doesn't do you much good. But I bought it and it's a happy thing.

You know what happened, though? Somewhere in the three purchases I made yesterday, somebody swiped my debit card number! Grrrrr! I got a call today from someone wanting to confirm that I had purchased some domain name. Neither it nor the company sounded familiar, and I was told that somebody must have used my number. Well, I'm glad it's been caught quickly. I called my bank and they're on the case. I expect they'll get the fraudulent charges erased; and if -- worst case scenario -- they don't, at least the purchases were very small.

Normally, I'd expect to feel bad about the inconvenience of it all, and would be worried that somehow it will fall on my shoulders to pay for someone else's crime. But there's an emotional consequence I did not expect from myself: Suspicion. When I was in college, our apartment was broken into while I was away for Thanksgiving. I was unruffled. But today, I found myself wondering whether the guy who made the intial call to me was honest. I wondered, as I was passed from one bank operator to another, whether I should be confirming my passwords and personal information over the phone. It was harder to trust everyone because one person out there has shown themselves untrusworthy. And for that I am pissed. For unrelated reasons, I've been thinking lately about what a big problem I have with blind selfishness and disregard for others, and this added fuel to the fire. The person who trips the final wire in the minefield of my temper will be most unfortunate.

But while I'm giving them an earful, I'll be looking cute in my hat. Pretty hat!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes, Pazoze. Your bank should be on top of this with no problem, but they did cancel the original card right away, didn't they?

Must say, I would like to watch the show on that fateful day when you go off like Mt. St. Helens. The object of your wrath will disappear like the wicked witch from the Wizard of Oz. Just hope it's someone you're not related to. We're a small family; we need to retain members.

Holly said...

Yeah, they're issuing a new card. Am also going online now to see if there are any fraudulent purchases I missed. Glad you're not worried, Mom!