Thursday, May 21, 2009

Monster in the Making

My last post was partially about the joys of being away from one's desk during the workday. Well, last week I got to have that twice! My company brought in a fellow to give some day-long workshops on giving powerful presentations, and I signed up for both Levels 1 and 2.

I don't give presentations at work. I barely even interact with people. It's a wonder I can physically speak at all anymore. But I've always been drawn to public speaking, so I signed up with my boss's blessing.

It surprised me when I first heard that more people fear public speaking than death. But in a perverse way, I find this encouraging. I figure it means that if I think it sounds fun while the rest of the world thinks it sounds scary, then maybe it's one of the things I was born to do. And I don't have as much competition to worry about ;-).

That doesn't mean I don't get nervous. I do. But people say even that is a good sign, because it means you care, and some adrenaline, when well channelled, can keep you on your toes and make you more effective. I experienced this as a musician, so it's not utterly foreign. Always good to be reminded that nerves don't have to be a bad sign.

The guy who led our workshops was nicknamed Meech, and he's had a career impressive in its levels of fun. At least, I was envious. He'd been a radio DJ, and then he interviewed famous musicians on TV in the early days of VH1. He's chatted with BB King, Sting, Eric Clapton and Phil Collins! I wanna do that!

Can I share my excitement with you? Meech was positive with everyone, but I don't think it was all in my head that he was especially effusive in his compliments to me. He said that someday I could be a "monster" and "a force to reckon with" in the public speaking department. Golly, I'd like that.

Furry Holly Monster like public speaking. Rowr.

2 comments:

Anya said...

That's awesome! Now you just have to reconcile your desire to dominate in the world of public speaking with your other desire--to be the woman inside the Wally the Green Monster mascot suit at Red Sox games! (You'd be great at either, for the record...)

Holly said...

I know, totally opposite, right? I'm a woman of many contradictions ;-).