Friday, July 24, 2009

Slooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww

I took a sick day yesterday to get stuff done around the house. Yet there's so little for me to do at work that when I returned today, I had almost nothing to catch up on. So I become further acquainted with "The Show" by Ze Frank. (He finished it over two years ago, but it's worth checking out if you never have: http://www.zefrank.com/.) They basically paid me to write in my journal. A slow day.

In other news, much like the singing recital, my first improv show went well as far as I know. The big deal is that I got through it and can move forward. The most redeeming compliment of the night for me came at the pub after the show, when an actor from another team said that after he saw my audition, he assumed I would make a team. Yay!

Sometimes I'm glad to be hanging out with theater types. You know at the end of Saturday Night Live, when they're all hugging each other? I sometimes wonder how necessary that is, since they see each other every day. But putting yourself out there creatively, and especially in front of a live audience, is hard. So I can understand needing support, encouragement, and reassurance.

At rehearsal on Monday, my Level 5 instructor gave me some final advice: Think less, explain less, and expand my character range beyond the low-status and clueless types.

So basically, stop playing myself.

Maybe I can practice that during my many empty work hours.

No comments: