Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Brilliant When Tipsy

I don't necessarily have a ton to say, but I wanted to build on yesterday's post and see if I can get some momentum. I went out for drinks with one of the editors I work with tonight, so I'm just a little tipsy -- but that ought to make me funnier than ever, right? Let's say yes.

OK, here's something not funny, but which concerns several of you personally: I've decided to take your compliments to heart. For a long time, I worried that I might be kidding myself, wanting to find a career that involved humor and writing. Thousands of people watch sitcoms and listen to David Letterman's Top Ten List, and think, "I could do that." But they can't. Who's to say I'm any different? Well, many of you have said that I'm not kidding myself. Out of some twisted false modesty, though, I thought that your perspective might be skewed by the fact that you're my family and friends, and you like me. And in dismissing your opinions, I did you a disservice. My family and friends are (for the most part ;-) ) intelligent, discerning, informed people. So I now choose to take your encouragement seriously. Thanks for saying all the nice things you've said, even when I wasn't as receptive as I could have been. From now on, I promise to let it all go to my head until I'm unbearable. That shouldn't be a long trip.

Hey, most of you might not know this, but the division I work for is being sold. We may or may not have jobs with the company that's buying us. I was excited when I found out, because I began salivating at the idea of severance pay. Many of my coworkers have begun polishing their resumes and sending them out. I still feel too vague to do that -- I don't know where I'd send a resume -- I don't even like my resume -- but, as the Powers That Be at our company like to say, "The winds of change are blowing," and I find something exciting about that.

OK, getting a little sleepy now. Not a really funny post. This whole blogging thing may be a bit like rehabilitation for me, where keeping going is the key -- excellent quality may have to wait. I hope you'll be patient with me. But if you're reading this after all the months I've been away, then you certainly don't need lessons from me in patience. Congratulations on your vast reservoirs of biblical virtue!

No comments: