Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I'm Gonna Be a Star!

And Baby, you can drive my car ;-).

My friend Ben, a.k.a. The Serial Killer, is taking film classes. Whew! I can hear you say. What a relief! This is evidence that he's not a serial killer, because film students are so normal. You all can rest easier with the assumption that if he's spending unusual amounts of time in a basement with video equipment, it's because he's doing something artsy.

In a previous post, I alluded to starring in one of his homework projects (I played a woman who arrived at a furniture store after it closed and called her boyfriend to tell him she couldn't get the chair he wanted. My performance was Oscar-worthy. Well, I haven't seen it, but surely it was Oscar-worthy. There was Drama.) I was paid in Mexican food ($7 enchilada plate -- score!).

Today, I had a bit part in another assignment. The shot took place in the future, and I got to wear a tinfoil hat. Tinfoil hat!

I'm enjoying that improv class, too. During drinks after class last night, one of the guys said I was good at it, noting that "not a lot of women are funny." I chose to take the compliment. No disrespect to all the funny ladies out there.

For most of my life, I'd ruled out acting. I did a couple years of drama club in junior high, and wanted to be in old-fashioned musicals, but was already focused on playing the trombone and told myself not to get distracted. Later, I was afraid I wasn't pretty enough. And then I assumed I didn't have acting talent.

God is erasing the big "NO" I've had written over that whole area. People keep asking me what I want to do and what I'm doing to actively pursue that goal, but this season is about broadening horizons, not narrowing them. I've begun telling people that I want to be a rock-star actress comedian writer, and I'm not really joking. I expect to pick up music again, and I DO want to write and perform/act/be on stage and somehow be involved with humor and comedy. Why not? I was the one who'd said no, not God.

As little opportunities come my way, I say yes. Yes to this blog. Yes to karaoke nights. Yes to improv.

Yes to tinfoil hats.


3 comments:

Marquioni said...

Hey Holly, do any of those scripts your acting with Ben, have any "serial killer" type endings?? You really should look into that!
I´m glad your finally coming around and accepting your talents Holly!!

Anonymous said...

That tinfoil hat better not have earflaps!

Anonymous said...

Wow HS! Exciting to read about the exciting things happening with you! You are one witty gal! I can definitely see you upon the stage exercising your talents! Please let me know of any upcoming performances: drama, futuristic, karaoke or otherwise! I would love to come out and cheer you on!