Friday, September 25, 2009

Break Me off a Piece of That Kit Kat Bar

I'm thinking of giving myself a break from some activities. Improv in particular. This occurred to me on Monday. I thought two hours would be enough time to walk from my office to the library, putz around for a while, and then walk to improv class.

Nope.

I'm glad to have been involved in all these creative pursuits. But it would be nice to have time to putz around the library once in a while. Or buy hats for winter. Or groceries. Or do laundry. Or read those books I got at the library. Or lie on my bed and daydream. For hours. And hours.

Sometimes I forget how much freedom I have. I can take a break from improv at any point. I can come back at any point. I can explore other things. I can just watch TV for a few months. I can do anything.

The other night I went to Trader Joe's to see if anything caught my eye. The granola did. I was standing before the shelf for a while, trying to decide between two different kinds. And then I thought, "I could get both!" That sort of thing usually doesn't even occur to me. It felt so extravagant!

And then later, it occurred to me that maybe it was a little sad that that was my idea of extravagance, and that it took me so many years to do such a seemingly small thing as buy two granolas in a grocery store.

You know what else rarely occurs to me? Quitting things once I've started. But I can. If I want to.

I just need to figure out whether I want to. And I may have to figure out by doing -- or not doing, as the case may be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck with the stopping, pausing, refocusing or whatever you end up not doing, because you are doing something else.