Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Cinematic Levels of Ick

If you were going to write a screenplay and make the Holly character look pathetic, it might go something like my evening.

We had our weekly improv performance. I'm not thrilled with how I did, but I'm getting over it by the time the second intermission comes around. Then I have a decision to make: Do I put my name in for the lottery? The lottery is where everyone who has improvised that night puts their name into a plastic pumpkin (like you'd use for trick-or-treating), and if your name is drawn, you get to do another improv set with the professional improvisers who've come to the show that night. The only rule, that I know of, is that you shouldn't put your name in if you got called the week before.

But I've been called twice already this term, and I didn't want to get called up too much, you know? On the other hand, I wanted to redeem myself after a weak showing earlier that night. After asking for the input of some of the other actors, I put my name in.

I got called. And our director, who drew my name, says as I walk up, "Did you get called last week?" I said no, and he said, "Holly's been lucky with the lottery." Which, combined with the insecurity I had already, left me feeling like everyone had seen too much of me and I was a selfish jerk for being up there again. So instead of getting out there more (my main frustration from earlier was that I'd been too quiet), I held back even more.

But wait, it gets better. After the shows, the actors and their friends go to this local pub. So I went, knowing I was too wound up to get to sleep after an upsetting show.

And I ordered my drink.

And I drank it alone, because no one else showed up. I just sat there by the window, looking to see if anyone I recognized was on their way.

Um, could something really romantic and redeeming happen now?

2 comments:

Anya said...

That sux. : P

These things happen...it's just frustrating when they do!

I don't think it was the wrong choice to put your name in the pumpkin, though. You're there to learn and practice, after all.

Hugs! TTYL.

Anonymous said...

What!? Lone woman loses track of friends, ends up at a bar by herself, has a drink,walks home alone and isn't murdered and changed into a vampire? What a ripoff! You did walk home right? Taking a cab or public transportation, is an off script move that would explain your avoiding undead status. It's frustrating because you were so close. Don't worry tomorrow will be a better day. Next time you find yourself separated from the pack stick to the script. No more improv. If you could make it a moonless rainy night all the better. Discovering your inner Kate Beckinsale is closer than you think. :)