Monday, August 30, 2010

An Unset Diamond

If each person is a jewel, then maybe each of us has a setting in which we're meant to shine, a context in which all we have to do is be ourselves, and the light will shine into us and out of us and the effect is brilliant.

Not that we aren't useful outside of that setting. Diamonds are hard, so I bet you could use one to hammer away at nails if you wanted to. The nails will get hammered, the job will get done, and it will be fine. It just won't be brilliant.

That's how I feel. I'm not in my proper setting yet. Maybe the past ten years have been a matter of God cutting me and working on my facets. Good heavens, I hope so. And my current situation isn't bad. I'm getting my job done. It's not killing me.

But it's not brilliant. I'm out of my setting, and I'm useful enough for the work I'm doing now. It just feels like a waste, is all.

1 comment:

Ben said...

I know how you feel, and I believe you're right. My mother (and my grandmother also) says that when you find what you were meant to do, all the disparate pieces of experience you've had can come together. Suddenly various random skills, interests, past versions of yourself, all make sense as the prelude to your work.

Here's hoping they're right!