Friday, December 17, 2010

Nice Boss

My boss is so nice, it makes me cry. I've had to miss work for some weird-ass reasons this year, and she's been nothing but supportive. It's especially striking when contrasted with the distrustful nature of other people.

That was vague, wasn't it? Let's see if I can get a bit more specific without getting myself or anyone else into trouble...

There were lawsuits. Yeah. I wasn't directly involved, but I had to go to court a couple times to support someone who I thought was being treated unjustly. It meant missing work. And instead of wondering what kind of illegal nonsense I was into, my boss completely understood that it wasn't my fault. She trusts her workers, and she trusted me. Compared to the folks who launched the lawsuits, she was like a shining star.

Then, yesterday, she helped me finagle different kinds of days off in order to use up some time that I'd lose at the end of the year (e.g. sick days) and save some vacation time for later. I was the one who'd entered it wrong in the system; she didn't have to straighten it all out. But she was happy to do it. Nice boss. Teary Holly.

It's usually nice things that make me want to cry. Like, right now, I'm listening to Ella Fitzgerald's Christmas album. Her "Joy to the World" sounded so joyful I almost couldn't handle it. How does a person make their voice sound so joyful? I dunno, but she sure did it. And man, that lady could sing.

I want that kind of joy.

Nice bosses help.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Don't know your boss, but I really, really like her.