Monday, December 20, 2010

Reversing the Polarity

For about as long as I can remember, I've had a sweet tooth. Several sweet teeth, really. Just a few teeth that weren't sweet teeth, really. I'm known for it. It's kind of my thing.

Over the last few years, I haven't been able to hold my sugar like I used to. Your body starts to let you down as you get older, and mine has been letting me down by getting headachy or otherwise icky when I eat more than three times the amount of dessert a normal person would eat in a day. The injustice!

Now, something even more frightening is happening. A shift in the tectonic plates at the core of my being: I've been craving salt more than sugar.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

It's a change in my identity -- in the way I perceive myself, and my place in the world. Who am I if not the girl who can be counted on to eat her weight in chocolate and peanut butter?

My tenuous grip on reality may be the next thing to go.

No comments: