Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Bad Smart Girl, Bad

I always did well in school, but I was also the one in my AP English class who made everybody else feel really good about where they were in the reading assignments. No matter how far behind they were, I was even further. Same in college -- I never even opened half the books before we discussed them in class. I got A's and B's on my papers, but if the teachers had paid more attention they would have noticed that I never included quotes beyond page 42 in any given book.
I like to read, honest, but I'm soooooo slow. I read silently at about the same pace at which I'd read aloud, and I have to imagine all the action playing out like a movie in my head. If I can't imagine it, or I don't understand something, have to reread it until I do. That takes forever. It's not a matter of self-discipline, I'm just anal retentive that way.
I bring this up because I'm in a book club at work, and we meet tomorrow. Unless I can get through 85 pages tonight -- and I can't -- I'll be behind. Adulthood hasn't cured me. *Sigh.*

1 comment:

Orion Count Drulzelot said...

I didn't know if you noticed, but I had to switch identities. I forgot the password to my other one; thought it was the same one I always use but it was rejected. Leave it to me to forget my password. I like this different identities thing, though. I think I might go with it, try on a few new ones, maybe a superhero or something....