Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Setting the Stage

In the mood for a little wedding narrative? I haven't had a chance to record much of what went down in Maine yet, on this blog or elsewhere, and I want to do it before it all becomes fuzzy memory. I'll try not to just recite a list of activities ("and then we folded programs, and then we ate, and then we folded more programs...")

So, hmmm. My parents drove up from Connecticut with my Granna and our dog, Annabelle, who is 7 months old. She was very good in the car (Annie, not Granna. OK, Granna was pretty good, too.) They picked me up on their way through Massachusetts. The wedding was being held outdoors, next to a log cabin which is rented out by the week, so we had a week to hang out in a cool lodge with a fireplace. Yummy. Also there were the bride's parents, the bride and groom, and the maid of honor and her boyfriend. Granna and I, the single chicks, shared a room.

Annie got to meet an older dog named Friday. Friday is nine and normally quite timid, but she sure put Annie in her place, and we all cheered her for it. In the 4 1/2 days we were there, Annie managed to unlearn almost all her training. She was cute, but she was a bad girl. She was the only one who almost went down the cliff. She almost got the menfolk in trouble, because that little incident happened on their watch while we girls were out working very hard on our manicures and pedicures. (The opinions of that experience ranged from "Best feeling in the world!" to "Someone's touching my feet?")

Apart from Annie troubles, though, the boys were well behaved that day. Mostly. They started on many manual tasks, like putting up posts and tape to create a parking area. They also moved this huge, dirty buoy that had been hanging from a tree in quite a prominent position, to another tree in a much more prominent position. Ha, ha. Fortunately, the bride had not lost her sense of humor. (I can't know the inner workings of male bonding, but I suspect much of it begins with the phrase, "Hey, wouldn't it be funny if...?") The buoy was later taken down and moved out of sight, but not before they had a competition to see who could swing it around and throw it the farthest.

The two dads spent much of their time taking the Suburban and the pickup truck to the liquor store to stock up for the rehearsal dinner and the wedding reception. They didn't seem to mind this too much.

OK, and just as a side note, can I just say that all of the things above are reasons why, if I ever have kids, I want boys? Even as adults, they totally crack me up.

I'm leaving out some of the boring stuff. You're welcome.

More later.

1 comment:

Orion Count Drulzelot said...

Yeah, the boy-kids are funny, but their teachers in school just don't have their sense of humor. Maybe you should become a teacher? My boys could use someone who thinks "heaving a plastic cup of green jello over the stall in the men's room when it is occupied by a teacher and running the heck out of there" is funny. Hey, even I thought it was funny.