Thursday, January 11, 2007

Miscellany

Things went much better the next day with Verizon. I called our special person, Shauna, who knows who I am and solves all my problems. God bless her. I hope the evil behemoth she works for doesn't suck out her life force.
Subject Change
Today I went to a "round table discussion" hosted by the investment firm that handles my company's 401(k) plan. I signed up to go because the invitations went out right after I signed up for a 401(k) and had trouble navigating the company's web site, so I figured I had two cents to put in. When I walked into the room today, the first thing I noticed was the cookies, because I hadn't had lunch. The second thing I noticed was that it seemed sales-y. The woman who was obviously in charge was very friendly. We all had folded cards in front of our seats and there were markers spread around the table so we could write our name on them -- a cross between the United Nations and Romper Room. There was a also a tape recorder with a huge mic coming from it in the middle of the table. What had I gotten myself into?

I ended up really enjoying it! I've often thought that I would enjoy an environment where people sit around a table, batting ideas back and forth, being all smart and creative. Today I found that it's true, I do. A mini-revelation. So later I prayed, "God, this is a Thing. Here." I know how doing something full-time can drain the fun out of it, so I don't know if sitting around talking is what I should end up doing as a career, but it seemed worth noting. I also made another connection. I'd known before that I like to be entertained, and that I like to perform. Today I realized that I like to be entertaining. Serious performance might not be for me, but I like lighter fare, and I love, love, love to make people laugh. I also like to be the center of attention. I've learned to keep that beast under control, but perhaps it would be good for me to find an occupation where I don't have to -- someplace where I can be a big fat free-range ham. These were some of my thoughts today.

And finally, some funny signs, seen by me and people I know.

An advertisement for teeth-whitening strips on the mirror in the ladies' locker room at the gym: Isn't it funny how whiter teeth make your thighs look thinner?

Bumper sticker, quoted by my sadistic gym trainer: I had to lose my soul to make room for my sarcasm.

At a store called Sam Cinnamon's, in Portland, ME: On one side of the door, We buy junk, and on the other side of the door, We sell antiques.

Outside a shop in rural Maine: Ho-made donuts.

And finally, an establishment in Alaska: Frank's Bail Bonding and Coffee Cabana.
Good to know it's there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you're feeling better today, darling daughter. If you talk to Shauna again, please tell her your mother loves her, too.

Orion Count Drulzelot said...

Aha! I knew you had it in you, a performer! Gosh, I do wish you lived closer, I know some great places for you around here......
You can look into a local singing or performing group (The Simsbury Light Opera Company is near us). They are fun, you do it for fun, and you get to be on stage, how cool is that?
Now go out there and get 'em!