Saturday, January 06, 2007

A rose named "Philbert" would still smell sweet, but probably wouldn't be very popular

I had a conversation yesterday about unfortunate attempts to feminize men's names. I've come across such gems as Nigella (the famous Ms. Lawson) and Hubertina. A lot of women's names are variations on the masculine form. Most of the ones I can think of right now are either German or French -- Carl and Carla, Johann and Johanna, Jaques and Jaqueline, Daniel and Danielle.

But what if you went in the opposite direction? What if you wanted to name a boy after his mother or something? I've begun compiling a list in my head of possibilities. I'd love it if some of you could add to it:

Diano
Elizabert
Wendyn
Jennifred
Kellieson
Betholomew
Penelopete
Annaman
Daphned
Gwendoland
HollybutI'maboy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give this list to some celebreties and I'm sure it will happen soon enough :)
I miss you roomie!

Anonymous said...

Benjamina?