Monday, March 02, 2009

Cross-the-Street-to-Avoid-Me Crazy

I'm now in a 3-week break from improv classes before the next level starts. I'm halfway through the levels that the training center offers! It's so good for me. Learning to be freer, to take risks. Finally having a chance to be as nutty as I've always wanted to be.

I don't know how much acting talent I have, but I definitely have a strong inclination to play pretend, to tell stories, to take on characters and give them a voice. Which has led to an interesting and unforeseen problem: I don't know how to keep it to myself. I'll be walking to the subway, imagining accents and voices and mannerisms and quirks, and then I realize that I'm making faces and talking to people who aren't there, like some asylum escapee. Or, even funnier, it'll take me a while to realize that people think I'm a nut job. I'll get looks as I walk down the street, and I'll think, Maybe I look hot! Then it hits me: No, not hot! I'm wearing a giant lavender parka and doing a Popeye impression! That's why people are staring! The upside, I suppose, is that at least I'm enjoying my own crazy company.

And it would seem I know how to draw an audience.

2 comments:

Anya said...

Well, Charles Dickens apparently used to walk around London laughing to himself and trying out the voices of his various characters. So you're in good company!

Ben said...

And you're hotter than Charles Dickens! Also, you're not dead. Which is a plus.