Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Job is Bread and Water. I am a Ham.

One of the troubles with having a lull in one's workflow is trying to figure out how much to bug people for stuff to do. At what point does it become a burden on someone else to try to find work for you?

I've been going through a really slow period at the office. Which is OK in a way, because I don't love my work. But I care about doing a good job, in principle, so being idle can get a little difficult for that reason.

I've always been painfully aware that I have no interest in what my company does, or my little role in it. Paying attention in meetings, where I hardly understand what people with other jobs are talking about, is very, very hard. Staying awake is very, very hard. I do try, honest.

I had a couple meetings today. The highlight of the first meeting for me? The point where I cracked a little joke and made one of my superiors laugh. She repeated what I'd said more loudly, and others laughed when they heard. (This is exactly the sort of thing that happened at least once a day in fifth grade, when I'd say things to Heather Mills, and she'd repeat them to the class and everyone would crack up). I was a lost cause after that successful performance, basking in the glow.

I spent the rest of the hour daydreaming about getting up on one of the conference tables and singing.

No comments: