Saturday, June 05, 2010

Permission to Speak Freely, Sir?

One of my big fears, for years, has been that I won't speak up when it's necessary. That I'll be one of those good people who remains silent, thus allowing evil to prevail. I've always been shy, and don't like conflict, and up until a terrible event forced me to rethink the issue, I assumed other people knew what they were talking about more than I did. Speaking up for myself was hardest of all.

I've been having to get over that, largely for my own sanity. When other people make terrible assumptions about me that become terrible accusations, I need to know for myself that they aren't true. I'm getting better at that.

I was also intimidated by verses like the following, from Psalm 40:

9 I have told all your people about your justice.
I have not been afraid to speak out,
as you, O Lord, well know.
10 I have not kept the good news of your justice hidden in my heart;
I have talked about your faithfulness and saving power.
I have told everyone in the great assembly
of your unfailing love and faithfulness.

With all this blogging about my recent prayers, and the way I'm telling people about it in conversation, I feel like I am speaking up. And I'm excited, because I'm doing it during the process and the waiting and the uncertainty, so everybody can see it for what it really is, and not some polished version at the end.

I don't know how things will play out. But I keep coming back to the feeling that I've done a good thing just by asking.

No comments: