Monday, October 18, 2010

Feed Me, Seymour!

That's my ego talking.

As you most likely know, I just starting posting podcasts! That means that I've also started sitting on the edge of my seat, looking for responses to my podcasts. You know how some performers are notoriously insecure? I'm one of those. [See: 30 Rock character Jenna Maroney.]

I heard that Philip Seymour Hoffman is insecure, to the point where his need for reassurance becomes annoying to other performers. And how many accolades has this guy won? This actually scares me a bit. If you can be that good and still not know it, then where is the hope for the rest of us? I don't even have an artsy beard.

It's interesting how much you have to push past in order to put yourself and your creative work out there. I don't want to come off as some kind of tool, saying "Hey, watch me sing I'm a Little Teapot!" but if I don't publicize at all, then anyone who could potentially enjoy my work won't find it. It's hard to toot your own horn. And then when I do, I wonder if the world will want to put its hands over its ears.

I've gotten positive feedback on the podcasts so far. (Thanks for not being jerkwads, guys.) Yet I still feel all weird about it. I wonder if that goes away, or if it's just always going to be there.

This post isn't just a thinly veiled fishing expedition for compliments (at least, not more so than any other post). It's just another attempt at being honest about what's going on in my head and my heart while I put more polished, performance-y stuff out there.

Wouldn't want to be discreet or anything.

No comments: