Friday, February 12, 2010

I Don't Like Phone Calls

I've figured it out.

I've always been a little afraid of the phone, especially when it comes to making calls. Receiving can be OK, but I've found I'm not always a huge fan of that, either. Yet texts are fine. I've also learned that I hugely prefer e-mail to instant messaging. And I think I've finally figured out why.

I feel interrupted when contacted via a medium that demands instant reponse; whereas things that can sit for a while, for which I can take my time to process and think about my responses, are fine. And I get really, really scared at the thought of interrupting somebody else, not knowing whether they'll be free or in the mood to interact with me, and I'll have to navigate a potentially awkward situation without the benefit of facial expressions or hand gestures and all the reciprocal communication contained therein. Yikes!

Some of you are probably worried now, but don't be. I don't always hate calls or messaging. It is interesting, though, what accounts for our preferred methods of communication.

No comments: