Wednesday, April 02, 2008

American Idle

I was doing so well. For two-and-a-half months, I had largely managed to avoid American Idol. I watched The Biggest Loser or whatever it took to keep myself away from Fox at 8pm on Tuesdays. Until last night. I watched The Simpsons (on the same station as American Idol), and then they started talking about how Dolly Parton was the coach for the week, and I like Dolly Parton, and the next thing I knew I was watching. And then it went further. I began to care. Yargh, I'm a goner!

The auditions are really what I'd been avoiding. There are too many people kidding themselves, or they're so close but not quite, and dreams get dashed, and I get get all philosophical and it all just brings me down. Of course, I got all philosophical last night, too, but that was because of Dolly Parton's lyrics. She's a heck of a songwriter, man. I really like her. And she just seems so nice.

And she sings about Jesus so genuinely. Have you seen the movie Elf, with Will Ferrell? You know that part where he's in the toy store and they talk about how Santa is coming, and he gets super excited, shouting, "I know him! I know him!" That's how I feel when I find out somebody else knows Jesus: You know Him? I know Him, too! You get excited when you hear others talk about somebody you like, and I like Jesus.

No comments: