Monday, April 07, 2008

Stalking Derek Jeter

We'll see if having Mr. Jeter's name in this post causes more Googlers to land on my blog. This isn't just a cheap ploy, however. It's legit. And it's my friend's fault.

Two-and-a-half years ago, I temped with a girl I shall call "Misten." She's a lot younger than I. In fact, I'm closer to her mother's age than to hers. She has an uncle younger than I am! We once had a conversation about how, as a thirty-something woman, in Medieval times I'd probably be a grandmother, and "almost dead."

Misten turned 21 last year, and since then we've gone out drinking a couple times -- she because she can, and I because, frankly, I need to loosen up. Be proud of me, then, that I went out with her Thursday after work -- spontaneously! We split a bottle of wine and discussed one of her favorite topics: Derek Jeter. You'd think, as a Boston girl, that she would hate him. Nope. Somehow she grew up into a Yankees fan, and she's obsessed with the man she calls "Captain Sexy-Pants." I can't really argue. I mean, hot millionaire ball-player!

I don't have her initiative, though. Unless my memory is failing me, I've never staked myself out across the street from someone's hotel. Misten cannot make the same claim. In her defense, Misten says that in order to trail Derek during his stays in Boston, she only skipped work once -- and it doesn't really count, because she was 18 and working for UHaul. That'd hold up in court, right?

And she classifies herself as a shy stalker, keeping her distance, not getting close enough to be "ho-y." (Or, as she's Irish, McHo-y. In the spirit of even-handedness during our conversation, I also gave myself a more Germanic moniker, von Ho.) And she doesn't stalk alone. Her friend Jonathan goes with her, because stalking alone is just creepy. So really, that's not even stalking; it's a fan club. It's fan-clubbing.

Before you decide this sounds like a fun pastime you may wish to pursue yourselves, be warned that there are side-effects. In Misten's own words, "When a man doesn't live up to my imaginary vision of Derek Jeter, it's very off-putting." Ah, there's a lesson there, my friends. These obsessions with celebrities can negatively affect one's more commonplace relationships.

So if you're going to go after a superstar, stick with it and don't settle for anyone else.

1 comment:

Marquioni said...

Hey Holly, I don´t know who the heck Derek Jeter is, but it makes me wonder about human affection-relationships. When you like or fall in love with someone, are you really in love with that person, or are you really in love with the image or ideal person you created and keep in your head? In that case, people are really in love with themselves, don´t you think?, with their ideal of romance.
I think there is always a little of both in a relationship.
But sometimes it really happens to people who like someone based on superficial elements, such as physical appearance, etc, and they infer, based on their ideals, how he or she really is as a whole person, when things don´t actually or necessarily have to be that way.