Friday, June 19, 2009

I Like TV

There, I said it.

We're not supposed to like TV, are we. Or maybe we can like certain shows, but we're not supposed to admit it when we just like to flop on the couch and watch whatever is on because it's on, and we're not that picky.

But I do. As a kid, I wanted to watch TV even when I was at my friends' houses. As an adult, when I have a choice between reading a book and watching TV, I'll usually choose watching TV. If there's a TV on in the room, I'll watch it (unless it's sports), which means I get almost nothing else done when the TV is on.

As with just about everything else that came naturally to me, I spent most of my life beating myself up for this and trying to fight it. I've lived without a set at various points, during which I read a lot. I actually think reading and watching TV use similar parts of my brain. Both provide fodder for my own imagination, and I daydream a lot.

I guess that's about all I've got as far as analysis goes. That's OK.

No comments: