Monday, June 08, 2009

Upcoming Meeting

Howdy-do, folks. Thanks for all the encouragement regarding public speaking.

I'm about to take another step in that direction. A couple weeks ago, my boss talked to me and a coworker about career opportunities within the company -- not specific job openings, but various paths that people have taken. I mentioned that I have a few ideas about what I'm interested in and might be good at. You all know that what I'm interested in is music, theater, performace, writing, communication, comedy -- stuff like that. My job involves none of these things. Unless you count writing witty little emails. Anyway, I'm scheduled to meet with my boss tomorrow, and I intend to bring up these various interests.

I realize that our company does not have a Vaudeville Department (does it?), but I figure if I need to have a day job (and I do) while I explore all the stuff I really want to do, it might be nice to have a day job that suits me at least a little better than the one I have now. It's not awful, but it's not great. So I think the public speaking might be a nice compromise. That seems like the kind of skill a corporation might need. The writing would be useful, too, but as I work for a publisher populated with English majors, I don't think that really sets me apart. However -- again, being at a publisher populated with English majors -- I may be one of the few people willing to stand in front of a crowd and yak away.

I have some backup on this from the fellow who led our workshops a month ago. I emailed him today, telling him honestly that if he thought I had talent that I'd like to be able to tell my boss that he said so, and he said yes. Okey doke, then.

There was a teeny crash after last week's talk, because every time I take step like that, part of me hopes that my life will finally change, and then I wake up to see the same landscape stretching to the horizon. But the excitement is up again today, both at the encouragement from last month's coach, and at the prospect of taking this initiative with my boss.

I am wary of getting myself into a job where I'm just comfortable enough to stop pursuing my real dreams. But I'm not exactly close to that point.

1 comment:

Anya said...

Cool. Best of luck w/the chat with your boss. There is definitely a need for public speaking skills in corporate settings.

Actually, I know an actor who teaches those skills to various execs and makes $$$$ doing it. I can see when he's coming to Boston next and maybe you two could meet up for an info interview.