Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Opposite of Lumberg

I almost forgot to tell you all: The meeting with my boss went well! I came right out and told her about my interests -- the real ones, not the could-be-adapted-to-an-office-setting ones -- and she totally got it! She grew up doing theater and musicals, and she likes public speaking, too. She's one of those nice people who's actually happy to see an employee follow their dreams, even if that takes that employee far, far away from the company.

She said that for as long as I'm going to have a regular day job, it may as well be one that suits me better than what I'm doing now. So if I can find a job opening within the company that fits that bill, she'll help me out.

She even understands that I'm unlikely to be here forever.

I don't know if there will be anything at this company that will suit me better. I'm not even sure how to determine such a thing, as the job descriptions are so buzzwordy and unhelpful (what does "developing and executing marketing plans and strategies to maximize sales" actually mean?). But it feels pretty good to come clean and be not just acknowledged, but affirmed. I don't have to be fake or obsequious. And I got an "I see myself in you," which is usually a good sign, at least from a relational perspective. Especially because she's not a "devil wears Prada" character.

So, while I keep up with the improv and the singing lessons and the blog and the public speaking and looking into local Shakespeare companies (haven't mentioned that one yet, have I!), I'll be keeping my eye out for company jobs that somehow put these skills to use. Methinks the Marketing Department doth require an serving wench.

No comments: