Thursday, June 11, 2009

Inflicting Myself on More People

I emailed my pastor yesterday. Among other things, I thanked him for the encouragement he gave me regarding my talk and said I was interested in doing more. Today, along with a response from him, I also got an email from an associate pastor inviting me to be one of four people from the speaking class (which had, I don't know, about 20 people?) to give our mini-talks to the whole church. Yay! That's a few hundred people!

I don't know if the invitation is a result of my inquiry, or if I would have gotten it anyway. I want it to be the latter. I wonder why that is. I think I want to know that I earned something by merit, not just because I was even a mildly squeaky wheel. There's a big desire in me to feel invited. This applies to just about any setting, and I think it's one of the main reasons I'm a more natural performer and was slower to take to social interaction. When you perform, there's an agreement between you and the audience; they're there voluntarily, and it's up to you to give them a good show. But in social situations, somebody could just be humoring you and wishing they could go home and play with their guinea pigs.

Either way, though, I'll take the gig. I want to be brave enough to speak up and ask for things, so I'm not sorry I did.

So, folks, right now it's looking like July 26 will be the big day. That should give me time to get nervous again.

No comments: