Tuesday, October 14, 2008

1492, Where Are You?

How was everyone's long weekend? Nice and long, was it? Did you go out of town, take the kids to see their grandparents, maybe get some chores crossed off your to-do list? Or did you spend your time lazing around gloriously, becoming more acquainted with your bed, the golf course, or daytime TV?

Would you like to know how my long weekend was?

Short, that's how.

Because we didn't get Columbus Day off. Instead, we gave him the collective finger. Perhaps my company is run by Norwegians who staunchly support Leif Eiricksson as the discoverer of America (though as a mongrel with both Norwegian and Italian blood, I have no loyalties here). Perhaps this is where we're supposed to use one of our "floating holidays," a concept which is new to me. Or perhaps everyone just looooves their jobs. All I know is that yesterday, while the lights weren't even on on the other floors of the building, a tiny smattering of employees was toiling away under the flourescents, and I was one of them.

Bitter? Perhaps.

I mean, I do have those floating holidays, I guess. It was just a shock to find out, only a week ago, that if I wanted Monday off, I was going to have to ask for it, and sacrifice the option of using it in the future. It's different, you know?

And here's my question: If I don't get a long weekend every six-to-eight weeks, just when am I supposed to do laundry? Answer me that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surprisingly a lot of companies do not take off Columbus Day! I've never worked for a company that has! All my frinds work retail so they didn't get it off either. At least you know there were others feeling your pain.

Holly said...

Ah yes, retail, where holidays mean extra work. You're right, there are people who have it far worse.