Sunday, October 19, 2008

I Have a Person!

A few posts back, I lamented my lack of "people" -- folks to handle specific tasks that I either found unsavory or had no particular talent for. Well, I remembered this week that I do have one guy: The Booze Guy. His name is Mike, and he works at Tony's Liquors, near my parents' house.

Dad first introduced me to Mike a couple years ago, when I stole a gift idea from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and needed help with the implementation. It really was a great idea: As a wedding gift, buy the couple bottles of wine that reach their peaks on key anniversary years. Although I can't take credit for the idea itself, I do take pride in having stolen a really good one.

Problem #1: I know nothing about wine. When that's your first problem, do you really need a Problem #2?

Well, we went and had a consultation with Mike, and he came through brilliantly. I gave him a price range, and he came up with some wine selections and packed it all in a nice, sturdy, wooden wine box. The bride and groom were really pleased, and everyone was impressed with me, so of course Mike became one of my favorite people.

This week I needed help again with wine as a gift. (For such an inexperienced drinker, I seem to be making quite a habit of wrapping up alcohol for other folks.) Mike came through again, this time finding a specific brand from California. Yay, Mike!

And yay me! On my way to utter dependence on others.

No comments: