Thursday, October 30, 2008

Viiiiiiii-kiiiiiiiiiiing!

My roommates and I are having a Halloween party. It'll be a day late, unless you're celebrating All Saints Day, in which case it's right on time. I haven't worn a costume in years and years, so I've had lots of time to plan. I want to be a Viking! Braids and a horned helmet, baby. Yeah!

About fourteen years of imagining, and I left myself one night to look for a costume. So pickins were slim. I snagged the last helmet at The Garment District. For the tunic, I had to buy a white thingy that looks more Grecian Goddess-y, so I may need to add a protective layer of tinfoil armor. I plan on being both elegant and invincible when I start razing villages. No cone boobs, though (sorry, boys).

Side note: The Garment District (a single store in Boston) can be a fun place to people-watch. The day before Halloween is like Christmas Eve at the mall, except at the mall you don't get to watch men trying on ugly skirts atop the mountain of Dollar-a-Pound clothes.

Anyway, what I lack in authenticity (because the plastic armor I might have found 3 weeks ago would have totally been authentic), I hope to make up for in theatrics. What do you think of me learning some German lyrics from Wagner's Ring Cycle and belting 'em out like a mad Valkyrie? That ought to scatter some peasants.

I'm baking cookies, too. Pillager meets June Cleaver. Being a melancholy type, I don't often get excited, but I'm rather excited to get my Vike on on Saturday (OK, kinda made that word up). I think it's largely the costume thing. I've always wanted to wear costumes -- one reason why my recently rediscovered acting bug holds so much promise for fun. Costumes, costumes, costumes! Holly wants to play! (Dang, there's Elmo again.)

1 comment:

C-Ray said...

Have fun tonight! Wish I could join, but I'm sure you will bring enough dancing spunk for the both of us.