Sunday, October 19, 2008

Killing Me Softly

I've recently been given a new position in my new company. It's a lateral move, which means the same salary. I'm not sure what I'll be doing. I haven't asked a lot of questions. This may sound apathetic, and perhaps even irresponsible, but it actually doesn't matter to me what I'll be doing, as long as it's not immoral -- and frankly, I don't know how immoral you can get with textbook supplements, unless it's all a big front for illegal organ donations, and that just seems like an impractically messy combination.

At this point, my job feels a bit like chemotherapy. I can't just up and quit it, so I do the next best thing: I sit there and let it happen to me, and pray that it kills the cancer before it kills me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like relating a lateral move at your mundane job to chemotherapy is irresponsible and slightly ignorant on your part. You can always quit a job but most people can't just up and leave chemo and be OK. They unlike you truly do not have a choice in the matter. Most people consider chemo fighting the cancer not "just letting it happen". Maybe you should try and fight, see what happens.

Anonymous said...

This comment is for Anonymous, whether you are one person or several. Obviously, you don't know Holly well, if at all, or you would know that she would never intentionally say something to hurt another person. I don't know that I've ever known anyone who tries harder to avoid that. She understands very well the power that words have to wound (having been hurt by others' words herself)and she uses them cautiously. However, no one can prevent someone else from striving to misconstrue whatever another says in order to take offense or find a reason to criticize, as seems to be the case with you. And the fact that you have opted to strike out anonymously on numerous occasions says quite a bit about your character, or lack thereof.

If you disagree with something that has been written or you feel that you have some useful piece of advice to offer, then please have the decency to do so in a civil manner and the courage to identify yourself. Otherwise, I see no reason for Holly to post your responses and certainly no reason for anyone to take you seriously.

Holly said...

For record: I was not making an emotional comparison, as if my suffering were comparable to that of a cancer patient. It was a technical comparison; chemo works by killing, and the hope is that the cancer will die before the person does. Anonymous, you've misunderstood. It was not my intention to offend you if you have personal experience with cancer, but your judgment is misplaced.