Monday, October 20, 2008

Kicking Butt and Saving (Most) Lives

I am a Floor Warden! Or a Searcher. Not sure what the distinction is, actually. But I wear a Floor Warden hat, which is the important thing. What do I do? I save lives! Assuming they don't argue.

Of course, if they argue, I just kind of leave them to it. I'm not a confrontational person.

My job is to go around our floor at work and make sure everyone evacuates in an emergency. Obviously, everyone else had already turned the position down, so they were left with me. Last week, I had my first hat-wearing fire drill, and I walked around making sure people left. I was surprised at how many people refused to go, because they knew it was a drill. The happier ones at least offered to bribe me, but one stressed soul just said, "I don't have time for this" and closed her office door in my face. Um, OK. I wondered if I should be a hardass, but as it was a drill, I opted not to tick off my superiors (at my job, everyone is my superior).

Perhaps it was cheating, but I accepted the Hershey bar they gave all the wardens for getting people off their floor. I did tell them about the guy who insisted on going to the bathroom before leaving the building.

Apart from that, I embraced the dorkiness of the hat (fire-engine red!) and the accompanying flashlight. It helped that one of the other wardens is a super-hot chick, and she wore her hat with pride. I figured if she could do it, so could I. We also briefly played light sabres with the flashlights, because we're both cool and mature.

To my knowledge, no one died during the drill, so I'm calling it a success.

No comments: