Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Fun With Convalescence

I have a health issue that required surgery a few months ago. Don't worry, it's nothing life-threatening. I won't get into details here because it gets weird, but it's not necessary for anyone to know what's wrong to appreciate the point I'm going to make. And my point is this: Surgery was awesome. I loved the whole process. There was almost no pain afterward, but I was told to take several days before returning to work, mostly to recover from the anesthesia. I was also ordered to wear sweat pants for a while.

So, let's look at this summed up:

-- I take a nap while the doctors do all the work.
-- I awaken and get immediately doped up with pain meds.
-- I get a week off work.
-- My parents take me home and spend the whole time saying either, "Don't get up," or, "Go lie back down."
-- I get pictures of my insides that look like Mars from a distance. (I almost wanted to put them up on the wall of my cube, just to see if anyone would mistake it for outer, rather than inner, space.)

Um, can I have this bi-monthly, please?

You can imagine my excitement, then, when it turned out my health issue hasn't been resolved and I'm going to get to do this all again. It'll probably all go down around the end of March. Warm up the couch, Mom, my butt's going to be planted on it soon!

Worth noting: I mentioned briefly in a previous post that I salivate at the thought of severance pay. Now you know I look forward to surgery largely because it gets me a week off work. It's not like they torture me there or anything, but surely this is indicative of a need to move on. My church, during what is traditionally the season of Lent, does what it calls 40 Days of Faith. During these 40 days, each person is supposed to ask God for something really big, something that requires a lot of trust on our part. So today, on Ash Wednesday, I present my request: Lord, I pray for a job that's more fun than surgery.

1 comment:

Marquioni said...

I hope you´re ok Holly, please please take care, the universe needs you.