Friday, February 15, 2008

I'd Like to Bring My Bankie to Meetings

We do boxing at my gym twice a week. A few sessions ago, I was paired with a girl who works with children, and is getting her Master's degree in business management. I wonder if one is good preparation for the other. Are we really all that different from kids, after all? We're cranky when we're tired, impatient when we're hungry, and we get all happy when others give us hugs, praise, or cookies. The biggest change for me is that these days I'd love to be told to take an afternoon nap. I like the idea of our childishness being overt:

"If we transmit the files on 4/15, we should be in good shape to... Johnson, Smith! What's going on back there?"

"Nothing."

"Am I going to have to separate you two?"

"No."

"OK... So, we should be in good shape..."

"Ow!"

"That's it! What's going on?"

"He bit me."

"Johnson, what did I say before?"

"No biting."

"And what did I say would happen if you did it again?"

"I wouldn't get to go to the sales conference in Florida."

"So what's going to happen now?"

"But it's not fair! He started it!"

"I don't care what he did. We don't bite in the office, do we?"

"No."

"No sales conference for you."

"This is so unfair."

"Life isn't fair. And don't give me that face."

"Ha!"

"Smith, this isn't funny. You'll stay late for the rest of the week."

"Aw, man!"

"I'm pinning this note to your lapel. Have your wife sign it. Or do I have to call her?"

"No."

"Good. I know neither of you likes this now, but you'll thank me when you're middle management."

No comments: