Saturday, November 11, 2006

Gittin' My Jurisprudence On

I went in for jury duty yesterday and managed to get myself seated on a jury. It's likely to go till Thanksgiving, perhaps even a little longer. I feel bad about leaving my work at my regular job for my colleagues to handle, but I gotta do my civic duty. Once I was seated, though, and I saw most other candidates dismissed, I wondered, What are they doing right? That is a wrong attitude. Since I'm committed now, I'm going to try to do my best. That means not talking about with you guys, though, until it's over. I don't know if I'm going to have much time/energy for blogging while it's going on. I'll see.

1 comment:

Marquioni said...

I studied law here in Chile, although I hate it, and right now I´m preparing for my bar exam after a whole year of lifelessness. I congratulate you for your civic spirit, although I guess you´d rather be somewhere else right now. Here in Chile we just recently adapted a new Criminal Procedure much similar to the american sistem but not quite. The best thing about the US sistem, which we don´t have yet, is the jury insititution; being judged by your peers gives the criminal sentence a feeling of "justice is done". But on the other hand this system has been said to lead to impressionable decisions based on the lawyers oratory more than on the facts of the matter. So don´t let yourself get caught by the defense or prosecutor´s acting skills or fancy wording, but try to focus on just the facts. Good luck holly