Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Nativity Story

The Movie Critic Part
This is not an edgy film, nor is it meant to be. The posters are advertising it as an "event for the whole family," so they had to hint at some of the more violent episodes, rather than showing them outright. I think this is OK.
They played it quite safe with Mary; I don't know if this was just how the actress played her, or if the moviemakers chose to do it this way becuse Mary is so venerated and they didn't want to offend anyone. I haven't seen Whale Rider, but I'm pretty sure Mary is played by the same girl who starred in that movie.
Overall, it doesn't really break any new ground. However, it's far better than what you were used to seeing in your Sunday School classes in the church basement. As both a Christian and an artist, I often find it easy to be embarassed by Christian artistic endeavors that fall far below the bar in creativity and quality. I feel no need to be embarassed by this film. If you're looking to pick it apart, I'm sure you could find plenty to pick at, but that's true of anything. I liked it.

The Biblical Part
What most Christians, myself included, look for in productions like this is biblical accuracy. One of the biggest challenges to any storyteller who cares about this sort of thing is remaining true to the Bible stories and filling the spaces in the narrative without venturing into territory that is not only not in the Bible, but flat-out unbiblical (there's an important difference). I believe the writers of this movie did a truly excellent job of fleshing out the Biblical accounts without taking inappropriate liberties. They played a bit with the timing of things (including the standard Creche Scene rearrangement which has the three wise men showing up at Jesus' birth, rather than two years later), but I, personally, am not too bothered by that.
My favorite part of all this was seeing the major players in this drama as real people with personalities, not just felt figures on a felt background; after all, they were real people. Especially Joseph. We're so used to seeing him as an accessory, dutifully filling out the triangle in paintings of the Holy Family, a quiet, passive guy saying, "Don't mind me, I'm just leading the donkey." I think we don't give him enough credit, but in this movie he gets to play a role similar to what he must have done in real life. He was a real guy. He had to make brave choices. And it's a big deal that God spoke to Him, just like He spoke to Mary, and Joseph listened. Even other people in the Bible found that hard to do. So yay, Joseph.

The Personal Part
I tried to be objective while watching this, so I could sound all intellectual when I described it. But I'm not going to be objective about any movie about God, because God is not a theoretical subject to me. He's my friend. I don't want to get a phone call or a letter from someone I care about and just analyze the grammar. I want to get to know them better. When I watch a movie about God, I want to come away knowing Him better somehow -- not academically, but personally. When I watch scenes where people are seeing visions and hearing from God and trying to follow Him when everything around them indicates it's a stupid thing to do, I'm not interested the way I would be in a philosophy class. I'm interested because I've had a taste of that in my own life, and I want more of it. And in the times when I'm asked to follow, I want to be faithful.
The parts of this movie that moved me the most dealt with God affirming His call on people's lives, caring for them when they felt forgotten, and keeping His promises, even when it takes lifetimes. For years now, I've been in various states of waiting; but more and more I'm able to see what God has been up to, even if I don't know where I'll end up. I cry when I realize that the same God who sent Israel a Messiah is the same God who watched over the safety of one young pregnant girl. The God who filled the sky with angels is the same God who remembered the lonely shepherds out in the cold. And the God who always manages to be the center of controversy in the world is the same God who heard my prayer when I broke down in the grocery store because I didn't have enough money.

"Blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what had been spoken to her by the Lord." -- Luke 1:45

I am hopeful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holly write good. Holly smart. Holly get it.