Sunday, November 05, 2006

When Prayer is Fun

Some of you know that I came to the church I'm currently attending because of the prayer. Usually, when I feel the need to have another person pray for/with me, it's because I'm feeling fuzzy and confused and need them to listen to God on my behalf. So it was frustrating when, at some other churches, the well-meaning people would ask me for specifics about my prayer request, and would then essentially repeat it to God as a prayer. I'm sure God honored that, but it didn't necessarily give me any more insight than I had when I walked into the room.

You can imagine how psyched I was today, then, when I went for prayer and the man who came up to me said, "I'll just pray. When I'm done, you can tell me what your request was and we'll see if I missed anything." Woo-hoo! Then he had the patience to wait on God to hear what He would have to say, rather than just talking and saying stuff that sounded spiritual but didn't really have any relevance to me. The waiting paid off, too, because he heard some specific things, including the fact that I'm a musician.

The things God says are important, of course, but I find most often that the fact that He's spoken is the biggest deal.

No comments: