Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Kiss It and Make It Better

I've gotten a fair bit of sympathy and prayer regarding my post-jury duty angst. Everyone seems to agree that it was a tough call, which it was. My roommate made me promise I'd go to sleep last night, and not stay awake till all hours worrying about it. My sister-in-law, who is a lawyer, listened eagerly to the details and told me not to beat myself up about it.

This afternoon, though, I got an email from my parents telling me flat-out that they thought I did the right thing. They didn't have any information apart from what I provided in the blog, but they redered a verdict on my verdict anyway. I don't know whether I've been struggling with felt guilt or actual guilt (how can you tell the difference? I never can), but their note made me feel better. Maybe sometimes we just need to hear mom and dad tell us it's OK.

If anyone is so inclined, I invite you to pray for the plaintiff and her lawyer. The plaintiff's life is pretty hard. She may have been wrong, but it was still hard for most of the jury not to throw her a bone. She has a lot of problems apart from losing this job. And it can't have been fun for her lawyer to lose, especially since this case has gone on for years.

No comments: