Thursday, November 09, 2006

Muff Stuff -- let's try this again

As you know, I’ve been on the lookout for suitable cold-weather ear coverage. A few weeks ago, I emailed my roommate, A, a few links to pictures in online catalogs, with the question, “Can I wear these?” She told me the fuzzy earmuffs looked cute.

I order the earmuffs. They’re expensive, but I can handle that if they look good and keep my ears warm. I get the package in the mail and immediately try them on. Oh dear. A is upstairs, so I go up to confirm what the mirror has already made painfully clear. As soon as she sees me, A collapses in peals of laughter. She manages to get out the words, “I’m sorry, I’m sorry! I just didn’t expect that!” You know when people are apologizing through huge smiles and shaking shoulders, gasping for air, that they’re not really sorry at all; they’re enjoying themselves a great deal.

The earmuffs are going back.

[Epilogue: I told A that I was going to do a blog post about the earmuffs, and she started chuckling. I said, “You’re picuring me in them again,” and she said, “No, I’m remembering my reaction. But now I’m picturing you,” and she collapsed in laughter again.]

No comments: