Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Foresight

A conversation yesterday, wherein I hurt someone's feelings, made me realize that I have to be careful, especially as I'm now putting thoughts on the Internet for anyone to see. Over the last year, I've been working hard at overcoming Legalism. For the non-churchy folks out there, that's when a Christian tries to impress God by following rules and being "good," rather than simply knowing Him and letting that relationship steer you. In my newfound freedom, there's always the risk of crossing the line -- from trying not to care as much about rules and what people think, to not caring how they feel. I don't want to cross that line. So now, before I have a wide audience, and before I start getting paid to be clever, I declare that I don't want to hurt people. I don't want to walk on eggshells, but I also don't want to be mean. So if you all try not to be hyper-sensitive, I promise to try not to be a dick.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, Hol. My first comment: I am reading your blog. You are an awesome writer. Just remember when I become wealthy, I would hire you and pay you big bucks to write for me without any questions.

Love, A.

Holly said...

Well, we'll have to get you rich then, won't we ;-)?

Orion Count Drulzelot said...

Good idea! I could hire you to write my obituary. Now that would be fun! I've been writing my own for years, BTW, and everytime I go to do something new, I thing, "How will this look in my obit?" See, you could make it look really good: "She studied Chinese so she could understand what they were saying about her when she went to the Chinese Buffet". How cool is that?!
Geez, most people don't want to hurt other people's feelings. I think you should hang around non-sensitive people. Like me. If someone insulted me, it would go right over my head. I'd never catch on. As long as you don't talk "bad" about anyone, then people should know you wouldn't hurt them. I don't think you can impress God by being good, just my personal opinion (I hope I'm not offending you, with me being so insensitive and all). I like to think He has this great sense of humor. And wants us to LIVE. Really, really live. He gives us choices, and the minute someone says, "You won't go to heaven if you do this or this," then that's taking away our choices. I don't think God is that way at all. I have issues about that. I think if you help those less fortunate than yourself, trust God, and forgive, then you pretty much have the good behavior thing down. All the rest is for fun. I like to think God wants us to have fun. Why else would He have made duck-billed playpuses if not to show He has a sense of humor?