Sunday, October 22, 2006

Holly, the Doggie Diva-Slayer

My roommate has a problem with diva behavior. When she's around a woman who's behaving in a diva-ish manner, A will take the woman down a few pegs. She is the Diva-Slayer.

I'm not a very confrontational, or even assertive, person. I'm learning, but I let a lot of stuff slide. When I was in junior high, we had a very sweet and very big dog named Little John. He slept on my bed (a twin) and he took up most of the room. I didn't have the heart to push him over, or even to yank the covers out from under him, so I'd be left with little space and almost no blanket.

It would seem I've outgrown that, at least as far as animals (and some children) go. A cute furry face is no longer enough to convince me that you should get whatever you want. Thus, when our four-legged houseguest Gigi climbed onto my comfy bedroom chair uninvited, and refused to get down, I was like, "Oh no you di'n't. You are not going to make my clean laundry smell like feet." I removed her, physically. Her brain couldn't quite comprehend that she was being defied. Oh, but she was, my friends, she was, and I was the perpetrator! I am the Doggie Diva-Slayer [impressive theme music here].

I love dogs. But while I will clean up your crap from the lawn, I will not take it happily when you dish it out in the form of attitude.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to “Have dominion…” that’s one really small step for a woman one infinitesimally tiny step for human kind. :)

Cute story. Did you at least give the dog an affectionate pat on the head? Or do you dish out subjugation Old Testament style?

Holly said...

I don't remember. But I think I was both agressive and passive-aggressive, withholding affection and everything. I can be a cruel, heartless woman. I'm also capable of looking Gigi in the eye and not giving her food from the table.

Holly said...

I don't remember. But I think I was both agressive and passive-aggressive, withholding affection and everything. I can be a cruel, heartless woman. I'm also capable of looking Gigi in the eye and not giving her food from the table.

Orion Count Drulzelot said...

Gigi was not a newf. You can't not give a newf anything it wants. Not only would you be unable to tell him to get off your laundry, but you wouldn't be able to push, pull, or tug him off either. Start small, but any time you want to practice, you are welcome to come here and try!